HCV ?

hello im 30 years old. between years 99 and the middle of 2004 i had unprotected sex with prostitutes(with no condom), and in one of this cases blood was involved also. (recently, i had HIV and HBV tests and both werw negative) 6 months ago i had high level of liver enzymes: ALT - 88 (recommended 0-40 ) AST - 39 (recommended 7-37) GGT - 21 ( ok ) TRIGLYCERIDES - 255 (recommended 50-165 ). then,in two blood tests: hepa C ab positive. but qulity PCR was negative. 4 months ago in ultra sound examination:fatty liver. 1 month ago there was a little improvment in the level of liver enzymes but still high: ALT - 60 (recommended 0-40) AST - 25 (ok ) GGT - 25 ( ok ) TRIGLYCERIDES - 255 (recommended 50-165) BILIRUBIN T0TAL- 1.8 (recommended 0.2-1.5) BILIRUBIN direct -0.4

and qulity PCR was negative again. (in blood test from yestarday same levels of enzymes as the one from last month)

i want to say that i am not a fat man and that i did not take any medications or vitamins that could cause a high level of enzymes or a fatty liver.

is it possible,despite the fact that two PCRs (with 4.5 months between them )were negative,that today im still having hcv in my body?? by the way,both of the PCRs were in the same(but good)laboratory. im going to go to a liver doctor soon,but i will very appreciate it if you will tell me your educated opinion .

thank you very very much.

anonymous.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like you have had HCV and gotten better on your own. By the way the qualitative PCR is not a great test, the quant is much better. Anyway two of them are pretty conclusive, you do not have HCV. You may have HBV for example or a whole host of other liver diseases. I applaud your decision to go to a liver MD. Whatever is is, it is not HCV. Good luck on turning your life around! DTD

I have Hepatitis C
do you know of a doc in the sf bay area