For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Ribavirin - potential cancer-causing agent

The information supplement I received with my Pegasys states that "Ribavirin is a potential cancer-causing agent. I am completely surprised to learn this. Is there research that suggests a link between Riba and cancer? Best regards, RC

Response from Dr. Dieterich

No. It is a class effect and I have never seen any very convincing data to confirm that ribavirin can cause cancer. It should be out of your body in less than 6 months after you stop taking it. If there is a small risk the risk of HCV relapsing is much higher. Good luck with your therapy! DTD

adult breast feeding quiry
hopeless case...thankyou very much