Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C transmission
Jun 30, 2005

Dear doctors, sorry for what it could appear a stupid question, but I received several good answer over the years in this site and I need to understand if I've been taking a risk lately. I'm 34 hiv+ by transfusion, no meds at the moment, 900 cd4 and a Vl that stays between 4k and 15k. My partner is positive to Hep C and we are usually very careful about not damaging each other health. We always have totally protected sex and we never share those personal accessories that could represent a risk. In general I could say we're pretty well infomed about our illnesses and we do care a lot about keeping ourselves fine. Yesterday evening it happened something stupid but that concernes me. While we'were making love I scratched his back (I usually keep short fingernails but not this time) and I made him bleed. I realized that only when I found some blood under my nails; I also realized I was putting my fingers in my mouth during the sex and so probably his blood got in touch not only with my skin (undamaged) but with my mouth. I have no dental problems of any kind, no gum bleeding, but still I am a bit scared. I ask you first because we as a couple share everything I and don't want him to feel somehow responsible for my fears and for a stupid incident, so I prefer, at the moment, not talk with him about my thoughts. He's always so careful and caring that the chance he, just for his status and for a moment of passion could put in jeopardy my health of which he's very proud would really put him down and he does not deserve so. I'd like to know what do you think are the canches I got infected to be prepared to my next steps. I'm not getting regularly tested for hep since I have no risk behaviour and my labs always were negative (latest two years ago when I was pregnant of my former husband). Thank you so much for any light you can spread on my doubts.

Anna

Response from Dr. McGovern

I don't think this is a risk of concern. As always, if you continue to have worries, it is always better to get tested than to be distracted.

Keep up your good work on safe sex. Dr. McGovern

Previous
Hepatitis B
Next
RESTARTING TREATMENT DG

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.