very concerned-close family members recently diagnosed with hepb and c.

two family members has recently been diagonosed with hepb and hepc. Im worried because we have spent alot of time around them and i know they are not clean people. I rarely ever see them wash their hands afer using the bathroom or before preparing food. I have 3 kids. Their ages are 7,4,and 8months. Am I just being parinoid, or should I go get my family tested? How easy is it to spread any forms of either of these viruses?

Hepatitis B is usually spread through exposure to contaminated blood through sex or drug use. Hepatitis C is usually transmitted also through exposure to blood via drug use.

It is recommended that sharing of utensils and toothbrushes and razors is not recommended because of presence of virus in saliva.

I would not expect your children to be at risk. If you are still concerned that your children are at risk, please speak to your pediatrician.

Hepatitis C and saliva
Contact with someone who is Hep C positive