Fast growth in viral load

Dear Dr. McGovern,

First I would like to thank you for all the time you take to answer questions and for the hope you give to people. I was diagnosed with HCV, genotype 1b in 2002. That time my liver biopsy showed grade 1 activity, stage 1 fibrosis, stage 0 steatosis. I have been on combination therapy with Peginterferon and Ribavirin and stopped therapy after 6 month in June 2003. My HCV RNA dropped from 2,500,000 to 300,000 but did not clear. Last year my load went up to 3,500,000 and this year it jumped to 23,000,000. It is about 10-time growth every year although my liver enzymes stay normal after the therapy. Here are my questions: 1. How dangerous is this fast growth and high load? 2. Can I do anything about it? 3. If I try now Pegasys and Copegus what would be the chances for cure?

Thanks a lot for your help.

My first advice would be to get a repeat liver biopsy in 2007 or earlier.

I would not pursue treatment right now because your viral load is quite high and I think your chances of responding are low.

I would await new strategies for treating hepatitis C including hopefully new drugs in the next 5 years.

If your repeat biopsy shows progression in the future, then you can re-consider a trial of treatment with Pegasys and copegus.

Finally, there is no clear link between the level of virus and liver damage.

Dr. McGovern

Can Hep b Vaccine cause HBV DNA to go up?
SGPT Result