Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV vacinated now HBV+
Jun 28, 2005

Hi Dr Mcgovern

My wife is from the Philippines, screened at Am Embassy, Jun2000, for ALL Hep, etc. Fine. Started working in a hospital(housekeeping). Screened by that Hospital(Sep2001), all fine. Became CNA, screened again(Mar2004), and got all 3 series of HBV shots. Fine!

Went into Dr., routine OB/GYN, took blood, Dr sez HBs AG Pos, HBS AB Neg, HBc AB Pos, HBV E AG pos,HBV E AB non react.

Three tests, with 3 screens, and full HBV vacs. Now HBV +??? Impossible? Recs and thoughts highly appreciated

Response from Dr. McGovern

I have two thoughts on this subject:

My first thought is frankly lab error (ie, you got someone else's blood test result). I agree that after all the screening and immunization, the chance of developing chronic hepatitis B now seeems low.

My second thought is that she is in the health care profession so perhaps there could have been an exposure, but I would think that she would have some memory of one.

Finally, I would check the records to see if her antibody titers (surface antibody) were checked after she got her third HBV immunization to see if she developed protective antibodies. This kind of testing is not routinely done so I am not sure the information will be available. Sometimes, patients do not respond to vaccine.

I would ask for repeat testing with hepatitis B DNA testing to be certain that she is truly positive. The good news is that there are multiple treatments available now. She should get her testing in Employee Health for documentation.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
plz answer,
Next
HBaSG test means

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.