2nd try HEP B False +??

I'm 6 mos. preg. Have had 3 positive Hepatitis B screenings in the past year. However, the neutralization tests came back may 04 nonreactive. 3/05 one nonreactive and one reactive. No detectable dna(<100,000) always positive for antibodies!!!! anti-hbc nonreactive, IGM also nonreactive. My husband is totally negative. My doctors are not sure about the conflicting blood results. i'm a nurse who was vaccinated with energix b in 1995. In 1999 with my first child only antibodies from vaccine..??? No antigen present. Are there more tests to do? I'm reading that some other diseases can trigger positive antigen. If so, what kind of other diseases should i test for to get to the bottom of this dilema??? Your input would be very helpful. thank you...

I have come across cases like this where the results are inconsistent. The best advice I have is to have the laboratory supervision of your hospital call the laboratory supervisor of the place where your hepatitis B panel is being performed. I suspect that your surface antigen is false positive since your core antibody is negative and your neutralization results are inconsistent.

The tests in 3/05 are discordant. I would have the lab supervisor concentrate on that test. Usually when such cases arise, the laboratory will write your physician a letter stating what is the result of your complete testing and its significance. They may request more blood which is fine since additional testing will hopefully put this behind you. I would not go on a fishing expedition for some strange disease - test will then beget test. Your only "disease" right now is pregnancy!

Dr. McGovern

Is Zithromax ok for someone who is inactive hbsag carrier?
strange hepatitis B test results