Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is Zithromax ok for someone who is inactive hbsag carrier?
Jun 27, 2005

Dr. McGovern Is Zithromax ok for someone who is inactive hbsag carrier with normal liver tests? I read on the net that it has been associated with liver failures. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

There are occasional cases of drug induced liver failure associated with many many drugs. If it is an occasional case, it is sometimes hard to truly know if it was related to the drug or some other exposure like alcohol for example. Also sometimes patients may have a individual genetic predisposition to getting a harmful effect from a drug.

In general, I think you can discuss with your physician to see if there is anything else which may put you at risk for liver toxicity, but usually inactive carriers have quiet liver disease and I would not put you in a high risk category in my mind for drug toxicity. Also azithromycin has been used extensively and has an overall good safety record.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
blood draw
Next
2nd try HEP B False +??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.