Is Zithromax ok for someone who is inactive hbsag carrier?

Dr. McGovern Is Zithromax ok for someone who is inactive hbsag carrier with normal liver tests? I read on the net that it has been associated with liver failures. Thank you very much.

There are occasional cases of drug induced liver failure associated with many many drugs. If it is an occasional case, it is sometimes hard to truly know if it was related to the drug or some other exposure like alcohol for example. Also sometimes patients may have a individual genetic predisposition to getting a harmful effect from a drug.

In general, I think you can discuss with your physician to see if there is anything else which may put you at risk for liver toxicity, but usually inactive carriers have quiet liver disease and I would not put you in a high risk category in my mind for drug toxicity. Also azithromycin has been used extensively and has an overall good safety record.

Dr. McGovern

blood draw
2nd try HEP B False +??