Is Hep B vaccine helpful

Hello Dr McGovern. You are an angel. I noticed you have taken time on weekends and even holidays to answer questions. I truly believe that you are not in medicine just to have a career but you are there to help people. And for that, I thank you and god bless you. I just have a quick question. Can people who are inactive HBsAg carriers benefit from regular HB vaccination? The reason why I ask this question is this. I was just diagnosed as an inactive carrier. HBsAg+, HBeAg-, HBeAb+, HBV DNA 800 copies/ml PCR. Knowing the stages of HB, I probably had millions of copies/ml at one point in the past. At that time my immune system kicked in and tried to get rid of it. It did a pretty good job because I now am inactive. I did a calculation based on MW of HBsAg being 24KD and the vaccine being 20mcg of HBsAg it comes out to roughly 5x10(13) copies/ml of body fluid for an average human. Isnt vaccination going to help some inactive carriers? Is the following study credible? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14562945&dopt=Abstract

thanks

Immunizations are not routinely given to people for an inactive carrier state. I would discuss any preliminary study results with your physician to see what he or she would recommend since this is not yet done in clinical practice.

I am glad you find this website helpful!

Dr. McGovern

hepatitis b and pregnancy
lymphocytes and viral replication