hepatitis b and pregnancy

I am 33 years old woman that will like to have a child (first) in the next few years. In the year 2000 in a routine check was discovered that I have Hb antibodies: HB surface antigen is negative and HB core antibodies positive. I was told not to donate blood but otherwise i should have no problems as my liver function is normal and no active liver disease was found. I do not know when Was I affected by the virus and how. Have also had hepaitis A as a teenager which was treated accordingly. HA antibodies positive. Will I have any problems inpregnancy and what to expect? Will my child have chances of being born with HB? Please help. Diana

The blood test you need to have done is your hepatitis B surface antigen. If positive, you will need to discuss this further with your OB/GYN physician. You can certainly have children but your infant will need hepatitis B immunizations and protective antibody. Also your household contacts will need immunizations as well.

However, this advice is all dependent on your surface antigen status.

Dr. McGovern

Exposure to Test Timing
Is Hep B vaccine helpful