Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why hepa b? no sex-needles
Jun 18, 2005

Dear Dr.

How can I possibly acquire hepa b while i am not sexually active nor use ivs. I remember before the full blown symptoms occur, 7days to be exact before I was diagnosed of hepa b, I have my tooth extracted. Is this the cause? Im really thinking why do i have this disease. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are correct in saying that hepatitis B is usually acquired via injection drug use or sexual intercourse.

The usual incubation period from exposure to infection is a minimum of 30 days so I don't think it is likely related to your dental procedure.

The other thing that is unclear is whether you ever had testing for hepatitis B before. Some people have acquired hepatitis B at birth.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
SGPT Results
Next
Is biopsy necessary

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.