Can a Hepa-B carrier transmit the virus to a unborn child?

Dear Dr. MacGovern,

I was diagnosed to be a Hepa-B carrier in 1998 and according to my doctor there's no cure for me. Just minimize or avoid drinking liquor anymore according to him. That's what I did and as of now it seem normal. I don't feel anything wrong. Now, me and my partner is planning to get married next year and have kidds. My partner is negative with Hepa Virus and she's perfectly healthy. Now, my question is, if ever she'll get pregnant, will the baby be infected with Hepa? Would the baby be healthy and normal? Thank you very much for your time. God bless!

Sincerely, Benjie Guimpol

You ask an important question regarding hepatitis B. 1. If you are a "carrier" it is important to know if you are an "inactive carrier" or an "active carrier". If you are an inactive carrier, you simply need follow-up of your blood tests to make certain it stays that way. If you are an active carrier (ie. you have HBV DNA in your blood), then it would be a good idea to have a liver biopsy to evaluate how much disease you have.

2. Your sexual partner should be vaccinated against hepatitis B to be certain that she does not get infected.

3. The only risk to a fetus is from an infected mother.

Dr. McGovern

whether Urgent treatment required HBV positive
SGPT Results