So am I cured?

Well, I was diagnosed with chronic HBV 2 years ago. I tall started when I got sick, naseous, indigestion, lack of appetite. I was on Lamuvidine for almost 1 year than was switched over to Adevofir/Hepsera. Well after my last HBV labs were drawn I got a call from my doctor's nurse and she told me that I had "seroconverted" and that I was antigen "-" and had the antibodies. It sounded great. Could you explain what this means further and my prognosis?

Converting hepatitis B antigen positive to negative is indeed great news. It is usually associated with a major fall in virus levels and is indicative that your immune system is having the "upper hand" against the virus. The medication is working and you have a lot to be happy about.

I usually treat a patient like this for at least six more months to hopefully help sustain the E antigen seroconversion. The best news yet would be loss of Hepatitis B surface antigen but that occurs in very few patients. However the loss of e antigen and gain of e antibody is terrific.

Dr. McGovern

Heb B and Chlam. questions
Worried, please, please answer!!