Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep b pos then neg?
May 29, 2005

Here the story, back in feb of 2004 show hep b surface ag pos. But no antibodies, no core sign, just errantic live function signs and hep b reactive...did about 3-4 test but not conclusion just stating an ongoing infection not resolve..also my liver function had return to normal range. Did not get "real" sick like yellowing but made me weak feeling. then later on got hiv infected(acute)..decide to go meds..using susativa and truvada...being on meds about4 months. I ask for an hep b update test. I got mine result last week. The result was confusing. all the test indicating I was not expose to hep b. There is no postive surface ag..no antibodies...they did bdna on hep b DNA..it is undecatable..so does this mean I am cure of the hep b? thank tom

Response from Dr. McGovern

Truvada has medications with Hepatitis B activity in it so you could have received effective antiviral therapy. However if this was the case, then your hepatitis B core antibody should be positive.

I would repeat the blood tests in about three months to see what may antibodies may evolve, but it is quite curious. I have seen patients with acute hepatitis B with just surface antigen positivity, but this evolves over time with the development of other antibodies, ie core antibody. The good news is that you certainly don't appear to have chronic hepatitis B!

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Pre-existing condition
Next
I could not find the answer in these pages

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.