Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why isn't there a consensus on normal AFP range.
May 29, 2005

Hello Dr. McGovern Why isn't there a consensus on normal AFP range. reading articles online you will see the normal range from 0-15 ug/L to 0-6ug/L. I'm assuming that ug/L is the same as ng/ml. I'm 35 yrs old and inactive carrier of hep b-undetecable hbv and all liver enzymes normal. I'm married with two young children 3yrs and 1 yr. they are all ok and have been tested and vaccinated. but each time I go for the bi-annual exam afp and ultrasound I'm terrified because I want to be around to see my children grow up. my afp 9 months ago was 17.2ng/ml(normal range <15 ng/ml) six months ago it 13.1 ng/ml normal range < 15 ng/ml. I just had a recent test done and it was 14.8 ug/L this was a different lab. This lab on the normal range says <6.4 ug/L. I have an appointment in a month with my dr. I'm very anxious in the mean time. can you please tell me why there are different normal range and there is not a consensus. Is ug/L the same as ng/ml(mathematically it is) but I don't know if there is anything else involved. thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Actually variation in AFP measurements from lab to lab is nothing unique. This is true for almost any laboratory. Each lab needs to standardize their own laboratory range for normal and abnormal.

Furthermore, real concerns regarding hepatoma (liver cancer) arise usually when levels are greater than 300 and greater - not just a shade above normal.

Furhtermore, AFP is a poor tumor marker because it can be normal in patients with tumors so it has a low sensitivity.

In general, you are at LOW risk because you are an inactive carrier with no detectable viremia. Enjoy your children! I wouldn't have such high levels of anxiety about these AFP levels every time they are drawn. High levels of stress and anxiety are not going to help your body either.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Sub-optimal response with Adefovir.
Next
HBsAg

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.