Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sub-optimal response with Adefovir.
May 29, 2005

I have been on Adefovir (10mg) for the past 6 monts and I just read an article on this. I wanted to know if I fall in to this category beacuse of suboptimal response. Can you please comment on the article at the link below?

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2005icr/ddw2005/docs/hbv_052705_a.html

Here are my lab results.

I have chronic HepB. For the last 6 months I have on Adefovir (10 mg). Here are my latest lab results.

5/4/2005 HBV DNA lOAD 6.2 (LOG) or 1584893 AST = 29 (0 TO 35) ALT = 37 (0 TO 55) Total Protein = 7.1 Albumin = 4.4 WBC = 3.9 RBC = 4.7 Hemoglobin = 15 Platelets = 135000 AFP = 3.0 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative

2/2/2005 HBV DNA lOAD 6.5 (LOG) or 3162277 copies (?) AST = 35 (0 TO 35) ALT = 44 (0 TO 55) Albumin = 4.4 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative

11/15/2004

AFP = 5.2 WBC = 4.0 RBC = 4.91 Hemoglobin = 15.9

10/20/2004

HBV DNA lOAD 8.1 (LOG) or 125892541 copies (?) AST = 37 (0 TO 35) ALT = 52 (0 TO 55) Albumin = 4.4 HBeAntigen = Positive HBeAntibody = Negative Fibrosis Stage 2 Inflammation Grade 1

9/28/2004 ALT = 52 AST = 37 Ultrasound = Normal I had acute Hepatitis in June 2002 but did not start the treatment until 10/20/2004.

Thanks for your very valuable help.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It would be reasonable to discuss switching to entecavir (Baraclude) with your physician. Entecavir is more potent in terms of reducing viral load. It has similar efficacy in terms of seroconversion as lamivudine. It has not been compared head-to=head with adefovir. As with other medications, entecavir is more effective in patients with high ALT and AST levels than in patients with low ALT/AST levels (like you). It is still reasonable to switch since entecavir is a potent anti-viral.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
can alchol cause hcv
Next
Why isn't there a consensus on normal AFP range.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.