The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I need treatment?
May 28, 2005

Dear Drs.,

I am a married male, 43 years old. Last Febraury, I have undergone Hepatitis Panel and and I had liver biopsy a month ago. Here are the results:

HB Surface Antigen - Positive Hep B Core AB-Total Positive Hep B Surface Antibody Negative

ALT(SGPT) 37(2-60) AST(SGOT) 26(2-50)

HEP BE Antigen Negative HEP BE Antibody Positive

HEP B Viral DNA QT PCR: HEP B Viral DNA QT 278 (<100 IU/ML) HEP B Viral DNA QT 472 (<160copies/ml)

Live Biopsy:

A. Portal Inflammation, grade 1 B. Lobular Inflammation, grade 2 C. Fiborosis, stage I

Ultrasound results are very normal.

My doctor said I got Pre-core mutant HBV and need treatment so he prescribed Hepsera (adefovir dipivoxil). I believe I have had HEP B for a long time (15 years or more) since I could not recall the scenes I could got this in last 15 years.

My question is: Do I need treatment? and How long could this treatment last.

Thanks for your help and You are doing a great job helping frustrating groups.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Personally I would not treat based on the results of your liver biopsy and also due to the fact that you are hepatitis B e antigen negative. Patients with this type of infection need treatment for a long while and it usually is not recommended unless the liver disease is moderate or severe.

I would ask your doctor why he wants to treat you for mild disease since he or she may have very good reasons for this decision that are not obvious to me since they know you well.

Dr. McGovern

Pace of Progression by Grade
can alchol cause hcv

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint