Toothbrush

Our youngest daughter, who was adopted 3 months, ago just tested positive for hep C. Since we've had her, she has been storing her toothbrush in a drawer that includes various hair barrettes and the toothbrush of my older daughter. My older daughter just recently had a tooth pulled by the dentist. What are the chances that my oldest daughter may get hep c since she had an open sore in her mouth and the toothbrushes were stored together? I'm not even sure if their toothbrushes touched in the drawer!

I would say there is no chance.

For hepatitis C there is little evidence of spread to household contacts. I would avoid sharing razors - but obviously this doesn't apply to your child.

Congratulations on your adoption and don't worry about your other daughter. She is completely safe.

I would pursue further evaluation of your adopted daughter at some point. It is not clear to me the age of your adopted daughter so I am not sure how sure we are of her hepatitis C diagnosis. Sometimes you can have a false positive early in life.

Dr. McGovern

hep b help
Pace of Progression by Grade