For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

HBV-DNA 306 -- Inactive Carrier?

Dear Dr. McGovern,

I found out that I am a chronic HBV carrier 5 years ago in a routine physical examine. My recent test result on 12/04 shows Hepatitis B Virus-DNA Qual: Positive HEP B Viral DNA QT: 186 IU/ml HEP B Viral DNA QT: 306 Copies/ml (<160 copies/ml is the limit) AST: 49 ALT: 36

Results in 04/02 Hep B Surface Antigen: Positive Hep B Core AB Total: Positive Hep B Surface Antibody: Negative Hep Be Antigen: Negative Hep Be Antibody: Positive

I have read in a recent research report that >106 copies/ml has higher risk of liver Cirrhosis. My doctor told me that my Hepatitis B count is not high enough to consider treatment. What is my HBV status active or inactive? Do I need any treatment?

Thank you very much.

I would be inclined to base my decision to treat you based on the results of a liver biopsy.

In Hepatitis B e antigen negative disease, the treatment period is long. Therefore, I usually only embark on that if the liver biopsy shows moderate or severe disease. I would pursue that evaluation in you since you do have some abnormality of ALT and AST although not marked.

Dr. McGovern