I recently met girl (30 years of age) who told me she was diagnosed with Hep C (genotype 3). She has been on combo therapy and according to her last 6 month test after the therapy she has cleared the virus. I could not find much of the answers around the net what happens next. Her doctor is of the opinion that she has to have follow up test after 12 months, and every year to check for the virus.

If she has cleared the virus why the need for follow up tests every year?

So far we have been only engaged in protective sex and unprotected oral both ways. Is there anything we should be careful off, and what would be recomendation for our future relationship. We also plan to have children.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

She is cured! Congratulations to you both! I always ask my patients to come in once yearly, but that is mostly for a reunion not really for clear medical reasons! I personally feel some responsibility for the rest of their health so I want to make sure that they are doing all the other health maintenance things they should be doing. The HCV virus does not integrate into the genome therefore it is able to be cured, and your girlfriend appears to be! Rejoice with her! You really have no reason to worry about the virus, it is gone. DTD

Very worried, please answer
Fear of HB Treatment