Business Owner

I am in the process of reviewing whether or not to start taking interfreron. I have had Hep C for over 30 years, show no symptoms and have been monitoring my enzyme activity in the liver for the past 12 years. Just recently, it showed elevated activity. I had a liver biopsy two years ago, at which time I was at level 2 of the disease. I am having another biopsy in two weeks to see if there is any damage to the liver. I am worried about the side effects of the treatment and was wondering if there are any new treatments that are as effective but without as many serious side effects?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It depends on what you mean by new! The pegylated interferons are much easier to take and side effects are not easy but manageable. If you only need to take one shot per week, then you can take it on the night before your day off and most of the problems will resolve by the time you need to go back to work. There are treaments for virtually all the issues that pop up during interferon therapy. If you work with your MD,NP or PA, you can do it! Good luck! DTD

Living abroad and scared follow-up
HCV Treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin