Pregnancy liver problem

I am concerned about a condition I had in my last pregnancy that caused me to itch severly. My Ob/gyn said it was b/c my liver wasn't filtering all the toxins out of my system, but that it would go away after delivery and it was nothing to worry about. This was in the last month of my pregnancy (this was 2 years ago). Well, I am pregnant again and was looking online at this condition and it appears to be a bigger issue than my ob/gyn made it out to be (possible pre-term labor, stillbirth, etc). Would you please explain to me if I need to be concerned or if this truly is something to not "worry" about?

Also, since I had this condition with my pregancy... does this mean I may have another underlying liver problem that is causing this or is this one of those unexplained pregnancy issues that comes up out of the blue? I had a hepb/hepc test run in my prenatal blood work and they came back negative. I keep thinking I must have hepatitis or something severly wrong with my liver for this condition to come up in pregnancy! HELP!

First of all, I would have a frank discussion with your OB doc to tell her about all your concerns. She can advise you about your risks much better than I can since she is an OB specialist.

If you have been tested for hepatitis viruses, I think you are all set.

I suspect you are describing cholestatic liver disease of pregnancy.This does not mean you have underlying liver disease.

Dr. McGovern

High Levels of Bilirubin
HEB C AND ELECTOLYSIS URGEnT!!!!