High Levels of Bilirubin

Hello, i have been HIV+ for 8 years, my viral load is undetectable and cd4 is 349. I was going to have a hernia operation and was sent to have blood work done. My results were a 5 times then normal for bile. I then was told to redo my blood work and take a Bilirubin test and this comfirmed that my levels were still very high. My concern is what can this mean, i still have not gotten a answer yet to what this problem can be.

My meds are as follows, Viread, Videx, Norviar, Reyataz, and Epivir. I am also taking a steroid gell.

My surgon said that i may need to see a liver specialist, i am vey worried about this and need some advice on what to expect.

Thank you, Lee

My first thought is that Reyataz is the issue. Reyataz can commonly cause an elevated bilirubin. This is not a cause for concern.

I would simply discuss the lab results with your HIV doctor. You also need a fractionation of the bilirubin. If your blood test shows "indirect" bilirubin, then Reyataz is probably the answer.

Dr. McGovern

boyfriend and hep c
Pregnancy liver problem