Hep c blood counts

My husband has HepC. We believe he was infected in the military around 1972. He began a Pegasys and Ribovin treatment and was taken off because it was not working. He blood count is at 7.2 million and has elevated liver emzymes. He is scheduled to start on a test pegasys treatment next week with a university reseach center. What does the 7.2 million mean? Is my husband dying? What should I expect he life expectancy to be?

The level of virus actually tells nothing about the degree of liver damage.

The only reliable tool in this regard is the liver biopsy. Blood tests for scarring in the liver are getting better, but not as reliable as tissue.

Going to a university hospital for a research protocol sounds like a great idea.

Dr. McGovern

Hep B
Hepatitus