Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B
Apr 30, 2005

Hello. Just about two weeks ago my dad just found out that he have Hep B. he is 71yrs.old. the doc give hime two options about the surgery. one was to get a liver transplant and the second was to laser it out..the doc doesn't recommend the transplant for his age and leading to other infections and the lasering it out it might come back again..I don't know much about hep B..the doctor also mention that asian is commonly get it to..please help me out so I can share info you might have to determine what is the best option for him..

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am somewhat puzzled as to what we are talking about regarding your father's hepatitis B infection. I have some concerns about your phrase "lasering it out". Does your father have a tumor in his liver?

If so, it sounds like you are in a good environment to get advice. I get the impression that your doctor is very experienced and knowledgeable. I would talk with his physician to understand all the options and follow his personal advice as to what he considers to be the best alternatives.

Asian patients with hepatitis B can get certain complications, such as cirrhosis or tumor, particularly after decades of infection.

Best wishes for your father's recovery.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Hep c+Cirrhosis
Next
Hep c blood counts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.