The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Apr 30, 2005

I recently got diagnosed with Hep C. My viral load on my chart says "HCV RNA PCR is 47,700 IU/ML or 4.7 LogIU/ML" My liver biopsy came back Knodell HAI score 6, stage 1 of 4 for fibrosis. Geneotype 2B. Chronic Hep, mild activity grade 2 of 4. My question is I'm was trying to get pregnant before I found out I was hep c positive. My gastro doctor told me I have nothing to worry about right now as far as doing the treatment and as far as passing this on to my child it would be extremely low chance. He told me to wait til after I have my children and when I had 6 months to do the treatment, do it. I want to know if you agree. And is my viral load low or high?? Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think whether you wait or not is up to you.

Some women find it hard to deal with any possibility of passing on an infection to their baby, even at low risk. Your risk is about 5 percent.

You have the best possible infection - a low viral load with one of the easist genotypes to treat. In matter of fact there has been some recent data to suggest that genotype 2 can be treated with as little as 4 months of treatment.

If you are anxious, you may consider 4 months of combination therapy. I think your chances of doing well are greater than 90 percent. Then I would wait about 3 to 6 months after completion of treatment before getting pregnant.

It is critically important NOT to become pregnant on ribavirin since it can cause birth defects.

Good luck with this very personal decision.

Dr. McGovern

im v worrieddddd
how to read my results

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint