Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEP B & Required Physical
Apr 30, 2005

Dear Dr. McGovern, Here are my test results: Surface AG+, Surface AB-, IGM non-reactive, Hep C&A-, Core AB+, anti-HBE+, HBV E antigen-, HBV DNA is less than 200 copies/mL. Every six months I have my liver enzymes checked which are always within the normal range. And I have my DNA checked and it is always the same, within the negative range stated above. I have also have a liver biopsy completed once a year (2 so far) which have always came back normal.

I have always been told not to worry but I am getting ready to apply for a new job which requires a physical. I am very embarrassed by my status and don't want this to cause me to lose and advantage I might have for this position. Will I ever clear the virus? Should I be afraid of this the rest of my life? I found out I was a Hep B carrier three years ago when I was pregnant. Prior to that I did go through two rounds of Hep B Vaccine. Does that have any bearing on my current tests? I feel lost and stuck with a lable. Should I be seeking out medical advise to begin taking meds to clear the virus?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not undergo treatment because there is no virus present in your blood to treat.

Since your immune system is keeping the virus "under wraps" I think there is a good chance over time that your E antigen will turn from positive to negative. Your results over time are very reassuring.

If there is some confusion over your medical health and it is questioned at all, just have your physician write a note which explains that you are being followed for a medical problem which in no way will affect your ability to work.

Good luck with your job hunting. Dr. McGovern

Previous
I am so confused with the results need your expert opinio ..please
Next
help dr.McGovern I'm scared!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.