HBV DNA (Please Help)

Thank you for all your support and helpful insights on this forum..

I've been a chronic Hep B since I was a kid. Recently, for the first time, my new doctor got me on a HBV DNA Test (Quant PCR). When the results came back, the numbers shocked me and I'm really confused by these numbers. Confuse because the rest of my Hepatic function test came back normal (except for the SGPT which is around 63).

My Hep B Viral DNA QT results are 9,390,000 IU/mL and 34,400,000 copies/mL. Please help me understand what these numbers mean.

My doctor suggested that I should go for an ultrasound and liver biopsy next. Based on these numbers, would you recommend a biopsy done?

Thank you in advance for your help. Appreciate it much.

Because you acquired your hepatitis B early in life, your liver function tests are near normal, and you have high levels of virus in your blood, I would classify your infection as being in the "immunotolerant phase". I agree with your physician that an ultrasound should be performed. Your hepatologist will discuss with you the option of a liver biopsy, but I think he or she may want some more liver funtion tests to see if they are still normal before any final decision.

The phase of your infection may change, and your liver function tests may become very abnormal. It will be important to have serial follow-up. The nature of hepatitis B can vary significantly, even in the same person.

Dr. McGovern

12 months hiv neg but liver enzymes high
Symptoms of Hepa B