Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high alt levels
Apr 30, 2005

hi barbara i hope u can help me here i have a problem i went to the doctor and i did some blood test he found my alt levels are high 145 and my azt and alkp are normal he then told me to do a hep a b and c hiv and syphillis and a ultra sound and iron vitamin b12 tibc ferritin i got back my results i have high iron hemaglobin and hematocrit and tested negative for hiv hep a b and c and syphillis and my last exposer was 8 months ago now my ultra sound said the liver is suboptimally visualized due to a very absorbtive heterogeneous echotexture .the liver is also moderately enlarged with a longitudinal span of 27 mm.no gross focal lesions are seen.there are no dilated biliary ducts .the impression of the ultra sound said moderate hepatomegaly with very abnormal echotexture possibly on the basis of diffuse fatty infiltration.and mild splenomegaly .my doctor said that is do because i am fat i asked him do u think it is hep he said no because i tested negative and my platelets are normal what do u think let me tell u a little about my self i weigh 315 pounds and i smoke 2 paks a day and i gained 60 pounds with in 6 months thank u.and i hope u will respone .god bless u

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am concerned about your liver enlargement and possible early increased spleen size. I agree with your physician that this could be certainly due to something called "steatohepatitis", or fatty liver.

The other thing I would follow up on is your increased iron level. If your ferritin and iron saturation are also abnormal, you may need evalution for hemochromatosis, a disease related to iron overload.

My next step in your evaluation would be to consider evaluation by a hepatologist for a liver biopsy, a weight reduction program, and further evaluation for the cause of your liver disease.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
puzzled
Next
12 months hiv neg but liver enzymes high

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.