high alt levels

hi barbara i hope u can help me here i have a problem i went to the doctor and i did some blood test he found my alt levels are high 145 and my azt and alkp are normal he then told me to do a hep a b and c hiv and syphillis and a ultra sound and iron vitamin b12 tibc ferritin i got back my results i have high iron hemaglobin and hematocrit and tested negative for hiv hep a b and c and syphillis and my last exposer was 8 months ago now my ultra sound said the liver is suboptimally visualized due to a very absorbtive heterogeneous echotexture .the liver is also moderately enlarged with a longitudinal span of 27 mm.no gross focal lesions are seen.there are no dilated biliary ducts .the impression of the ultra sound said moderate hepatomegaly with very abnormal echotexture possibly on the basis of diffuse fatty infiltration.and mild splenomegaly .my doctor said that is do because i am fat i asked him do u think it is hep he said no because i tested negative and my platelets are normal what do u think let me tell u a little about my self i weigh 315 pounds and i smoke 2 paks a day and i gained 60 pounds with in 6 months thank u.and i hope u will respone .god bless u

I am concerned about your liver enlargement and possible early increased spleen size. I agree with your physician that this could be certainly due to something called "steatohepatitis", or fatty liver.

The other thing I would follow up on is your increased iron level. If your ferritin and iron saturation are also abnormal, you may need evalution for hemochromatosis, a disease related to iron overload.

My next step in your evaluation would be to consider evaluation by a hepatologist for a liver biopsy, a weight reduction program, and further evaluation for the cause of your liver disease.

Dr. McGovern

puzzled
12 months hiv neg but liver enzymes high