Viread/3TC/Viramune versus Truvada/Viramune

I am a HIV/HCV coinfected female, 44 years of age, undetectable HIV RNA, 30% T-cells, and stage 0/1 liver fibrosis. My question relates to HIV HAART treatment. I changed treatment about 8 months ago from Viread/Viramune/3TC/Ziagen (Viread once daily and all others twice daily) to Truvada/Viramune (Truvada once daily and Viramune twice daily). My doctor wanted your opinion as to the following: Is the Truvada/Viramune combo as effective as a Viread/3TC/Viramune combo? And is Viramune okay to take with my HCV diagnosis? Thanks so much for your help!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Yes. The drugs are very similar. The FTC in Truvada is a close cousin of 3 TC, maybe a little longer half life and easy to take. As long as you have not had a problem with the Viramune in the first 6 weeks you should not have one. The recommendation is not to take Viramune if you have more than 400 CD cells if you are a man, or more than 250 if you are a woman. Looks fine for you! Keep up the good work! DTD

Hep C Non-Responder
Comparative