Hep C Non-Responder

I have had hep c for about 35 years. I am female who is 58 years old. I am between stage 2& 3 on fibrosis. I had a biopsy 4 years ago which showed this and another biopsy 2 years after the first, which showed no progression.I am grade 2, geno 4a. I do get colds and sinus problems quite often, but I work full time, and really do not tire like so many others. I am scared though of the future in regards to the hep C and could really use some reassurance. I did not respond to Pegasys and Rebetol. My alpha feta proteins are very low as is my viral load which is under one million. My ast is 65 and my alt is 92. I am scared though. Do you think I have enough time before things get worse, to wait for a new treatment; and realistically do you think one will come out in time? Your prognosses for me please!

Thank You. S.I.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There will not be a new drug approved for HCV until at least 2007 if not later. It would not be unreasonable to try again now with either standare therapy, double dose peg plus ribavirin or daily infergen. With genotyp 4 you have a good chance of responding! Good luck! DTD

Treatment and Doctor in CT
Viread/3TC/Viramune versus Truvada/Viramune