The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment and Doctor in CT
Apr 25, 2005

Dear Dr. Dieterich,

I am a Chinese. I found out my HBVsAg+/eAB+ about 8 years ago on a routine check-up in the States. I didnt know how long I have been infected. But my liver function was quite normal. I have been monitoring my liver function every 6 months since then. I had a flare about 3 years ago with ALT =1712, AST= 887, and HBV DNA= 690,000, my doc didn't want to do anything but wait for my body to respond. One month later, liver function went back to normal, HBV DNA drop to 18,000. I think I might have missed the best chance to clear HBV out of my body. Last year, HBV DNA went up to 52,776, but liver function remained normal. Recently, I felt discomfort after eating fruit just like the first flare 3 years ago. And the test came back with all normal but ALT= 83 (2-60 normal range). I have never done liver biopsies. I have never taken any medication for hepatitis yet. Will the herbs help? What should I do now?

Its hard to find a doctor with hepatitis B expertise as you said. Could you please recommend one in Connecticut? Thank you very much for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I think you need both a liver biopsy and a treatment. Try Yale New Haven hospital. They have a very good liver unit, or you can come down to see me at Mt Sinai, it is only a little farther. 212 241 7270 is the number. Good luck! DTD

UPDATE on question you answered!!!
Hep C Non-Responder

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint