1st day treatment pain

My husband started interferon last night and today his legs and feet hurt terribly! He has the flu symptoms, as expected, but we didn't expect the feet/leg pain. Is it normal? Also are having side effects so soon normal? it's been 16 hours since his first injection. Thank you, Barbara

I would certainly call your doctor to discuss.

If your husband is feeling better now, it was probably related to the myalgias and arthragias (muscle aches and joint aches) which are associated with interferon.

The good news is that the symptoms usually go away after a few more injections as the body gets used to the medication.

These type of symptoms occur with both Peg Intron and Pegasys but usually come on sooner with Peg Intron because it is absorbed faster; Pegasys is absorbed slower over time so the peak level in the body is after 72 hours.

Dr. McGovern

HCV Pos Results-Now What?