Liver biopsis(3)

Dear Mrs Mc Govern

I have the following questions:

(i)Is it possible HBsAg to be negative and HBV DNA to be detectable? (even with at very low levels < 1,000 cp/ml (ii)Is it ok for a chronic inactive HBV carrier with mild fibrosis to consume 1 glass of white wine per week? (iii) Although HIV is considered potentially more serious than HBV I noticed that nobody is giving life expectancy for HBV carriers while now HIV patients are given even 20 years or more life expectancy under right medication. In other words, is it possible an HBV carrier to live 75 years assuming that he is otherwise healthy?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Kind regards

You ask good questions. 1. Usually, HBVDNA is not detected if HBV sAg is negative. The only situation I have seen this is in someone with isolated Hepatitis B core antibody positivity. This is very uncommon however. I would have your physician check your full serologies. 2. For a chronic carrier, I think one glass of wine per week is certainly acceptable. 3. For chronic carriers, there are so many new terrific treatments available, including pegylated interferons and entecavir, that I don't think we know any longer what life expectancy is.

Dr. McGovern

Please offer hope
drinking water & hepatitis b