Please offer hope

My husband just underwent triple bypass. He was on HIV meds (undetectable) and also Hep C treatment (second time around, into seventh month and also undetectable) He had to stop HIV meds for 3 days and restarted, however stopped Hep C meds in order to recuperate from bypass surgery. I have several questions. Can he become resistant to HIV meds after stopping for 3 days? Also, I'd hate to think all the pain and suffering he endured for 55 months on Hep C treatment was for nothing. Did it help his liver in any way, and where does he go from here as far as treatment? He has at least two months of recuperation from surgery. I know a lot of questions, but very very concerned. Please help. Thank you.

The great news is that your husband has excellent responses to his various treatments - a non-detectable viral load for both HIV and HCV.

He will not become resistant from stopping all meds for HIV for 3 days. The problem arises when patients miss doses often for a period of time. Resistance is usually due to on - off - on - off type of cycling that is frequent.

As for HCV - the liver gets healthier even in a large percentage of patients who don't get viral suppression. So if he DID achieve viral suppression, then his chances of having a healthier liver are very high. Furthermore, his healthier liver probably helped him tolerate his anesthesia better. When he recuperates, I would check his HCV RNA to determine that it has rebounded back and then restart therapy when he has fully recovered.

Dr. McGovern

high alt levels
Liver biopsis(3)