is 50 hours later still a risk exposure for HCV

Dear Doctor,

A quick question if you may. I have had a cousin visiting and he has an unhealthy sexual lifestyle (unprotected sex) and he used my bathroom. I have razors, but they are in the linen closet, so they were not exposed. So about at least 51 to 54 hours later I decided to shave. I took them out of the case (I used it many times before just leave in the case so dust won't get into it) I rinsed the blade with hot water and soap, both the front and the back of the razor. Then I began to shave with the shaving cream and running water. I had a real thick beard, so I to shave at least three times. Before I shave for the final time, I used soap and water again on the back and front of the razor. But my last swipe of the blade, I nicked myself and a little bit of blood came out. Then I had this stupid thought, what while he was in the bathroom he opened the closet and used my razor, I know it's a stupid thought and I'm trying to dismiss it, but it's bugging me. I mean he was only in there for 5 min, and it's stupid to think that, but the thought is still there. Also the razor was right in the closet as I left it.

My question now is I know that 50 + hours and the water and soap. The shaving cream and the running water. Also it was the third shave before I nicked myself. So I know that HIV is no risk. I have also my shots for HEP A and HEP B. But from what I described, would I be still at risk for HEP C if this did happened? Do I need testing now if there was a risk?

Thanks for your time and please forgive this stupid thought

From the circumstances you describe, it appears that there is really no risk. As always, sometimes people feel better after testing because they can't relax due to persistent concerns about infection. I would simply reasure you that testing is not necessary, but certainly do it if you can't obtain peace.

Dr. McGovern

HIV/Hepatitis
high alt levels