Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is 50 hours later still a risk exposure for HCV
Apr 10, 2005

Dear Doctor,

A quick question if you may. I have had a cousin visiting and he has an unhealthy sexual lifestyle (unprotected sex) and he used my bathroom. I have razors, but they are in the linen closet, so they were not exposed. So about at least 51 to 54 hours later I decided to shave. I took them out of the case (I used it many times before just leave in the case so dust won't get into it) I rinsed the blade with hot water and soap, both the front and the back of the razor. Then I began to shave with the shaving cream and running water. I had a real thick beard, so I to shave at least three times. Before I shave for the final time, I used soap and water again on the back and front of the razor. But my last swipe of the blade, I nicked myself and a little bit of blood came out. Then I had this stupid thought, what while he was in the bathroom he opened the closet and used my razor, I know it's a stupid thought and I'm trying to dismiss it, but it's bugging me. I mean he was only in there for 5 min, and it's stupid to think that, but the thought is still there. Also the razor was right in the closet as I left it.

My question now is I know that 50 + hours and the water and soap. The shaving cream and the running water. Also it was the third shave before I nicked myself. So I know that HIV is no risk. I have also my shots for HEP A and HEP B. But from what I described, would I be still at risk for HEP C if this did happened? Do I need testing now if there was a risk?

Thanks for your time and please forgive this stupid thought

Response from Dr. McGovern

From the circumstances you describe, it appears that there is really no risk. As always, sometimes people feel better after testing because they can't relax due to persistent concerns about infection. I would simply reasure you that testing is not necessary, but certainly do it if you can't obtain peace.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
HIV/Hepatitis
Next
high alt levels

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.