Co indefc Hec C

dear, Barbara,

I am living with HIV virus since 2000, Now I devoloped Hep C . my Cd4 count is below 200. shall I start ARV

Mike Tonsing

I would certainly recommend treatment for HIV. As you take these medications, your physician will want to monitor your liver function tests carefully.

You should also have testing for Hepatitis C in terms of viral load and genotype. Eventually, it would also be helpful to have a liver biopsy to see if you also need treatment for hepatitis C.

Also be aware of the signs of drug toxicity to the liver including poor appetite, nausea, vomiting and pain in the right upper part of your abdomen. If you develop any of these symptoms on medications, it may simply be a side effect; however a simple blood test will also tell if the medications are having a toxic effect on your liver.

Taking HIV medications is very important for you right now. You simply need to be monitored and well-informed so you can let your doctor know if you are having trouble tolerating your medications. Having hepatitis C infection should not change your mind about taking ARV.

Good luck!

Dr. McGovern

hiv and sgpt
effects of ribavirin on HIV pregnant woman on ARV therapy