Right meds?

Hi, my husband is HIV poz, (undetectable) also Hep C, on treatment for second time and undetectable. However, he has developed major heart problems, massive heart damage and is awaiting a viability study. In the meantime, his doctor prescribed one of the medications, Lipitor for high cholesterol. I've seen commercials for this, and people with liver problems shouldn't take this medication. Should he be taking this or should we trust the doctor? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is a common question and a good one. Just because you have liver disease does not mean that you will have toxicity from the lipitor or any other medication. Most liver toxicity is idiosyncratic, that is occurs randomly. The chances of it happening are not increased by liver disease. However, his liver may be more sensitive, so lipitor is OK to use if the benefits outweigh the risks. I would just watch the liver enzyme tests carefully. Wish him luck! DTD

What are the odds? Acute HBV/HIV Testing
hiv and sgpt