The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you get Hepititus from a beverage?
Mar 12, 2005

Recently I bought a 2L carton of original flavour soy drink from the grocery store. When I went to drink it, I couldn't recall if I had already broken the plastic seal on the carton. I remember another incident when I bought a carton of vegetable drink from the same grocery store and when I went to drink it, someone had already opened it therefore I ended up throwing it out.

I am afraid that this carton could have possibly been already opened because I don't remember opening it specifically. I drank about two gulps of it through a straw and decided to dispose the rest of the carton due to my suspicions of it possibly being already opened.

I felt scared and so decided to vomit it out because I was afraid of a contaminated carton.

How long does it take for your body to digest a contaminated soy drink to affect you? Could vomitting it out help minimize any affects of a contaminated drink? What precautions should I keep in mind to be more aware and cautious in the future? I don't want to contract any hepititis or any other disease? please if you can put my worries at ease, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

The only hepatitis that is food-borne is hepatitis A but I have no particular concerns regarding that infection if there is just an issue of the carton being opened. This would only lead to spoilage.

Dr. McGovern

Hep B and relationship problems with girlfriend
Exposure reisk

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint