Mar 12, 2005
How likely is sexual transmission of Hep C through unprotected vaginal intercourse from an HCV/HIV co-infected female to an uninfected male? Which virus is most likely to be transmitted: HIV or HCV? and why?
Response from Dr. McGovern
All sexually transmitted diseases are transmitted better from male to female than female to male.
HIV is much better transmitted sexually than HCV. Among monogamous couples, the risk of transmission of HCV is 1-2 percent. It is not clear why transmission of HIV is so much more efficient but probably has to do with receptors.
Veneral infection by kissing
worried about son
- Can Hiv Enter Body Through Nails And Nail Bed?
- Can You Get Anything Sucking Someone's Cock Without A Condom?
- Getting Hiv Through Open Cuts On Hands
- How Long Does Std Bacteria Live Outside The Body?
- I Received Protected Oral From An Hiv Positive Person
- One Time Testing On Hiv After One Year Exposure
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.