For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

worried about sudden increase in count

I have had hep c for 30 plus years- last year my load was 7,000,000 and now it is 21,000,000 in less then l year. What would cause that? I was tested for every disease that I could think of and all came back neg (Including hiv1 and 2) I am 55 years old with gen 1a and dr wants me to try interferon. What do you think? (I was tested twice in 2 months and copies are still around 21,000,000 (thats 21 million)

Quite frankly, there is some variability in the test for HCV RNA although a 3 fold difference is significant. I am not focused though on the level of virus because that does not tell me anything about the severity of your liver disease. I am more concerned about how long you may have had your infection.

I would recommend a liver biopsy for staging and then a trial of PEG IFN and ribavirin.

Dr. McGovern

False Positives. Does Chronic HCV affect an HIV test?
Veneral infection by kissing