Cirrhosis and Hep B Treatment

My mother is 63 and only recently was diagnosed with cirrhosis and chronic Hep B - after she had ascites and edema. She is taking diuretics and all the fluid is gone. Her AST is 73, ALT - 31, albumin 2.7, total bilirubin 2, direct bilirubin 0.9. Her HBV DNA is 163 IU/ml and 266 copies/ml. - Is she eligible for hep B therapy and what would be the best option for her? - Can the therapy advance her cirrhosis? - Would liver transplant be necessary and preferable compared to therapy? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Treatment of Hepatitis B in people with cirrhosis can work miracles! Yes I would definitely start medication, whether she needs a transplant or not, but I would bet that with good treatment she will do well. I would use adefovir(Hepsera) and lamivudine(Epivir)300 mg. Wish her well for me! DTD

!STUDENT WHO RECEIVED A HUGE PUNCH
surgery