Mix up on HBV & HCV?

In your response to "Triple Infection Joe Z." you state 75 - 80% of HepB infection becomes chronic...did you mean HCV? I thought only about 10 - 15% of HBV becomes chronic.

You are absolutely right. I am sorry if I mistakenly wrote hepatitis B instead of hepatitis C.

To set the record straight:

1. Hepatitis C much more commonly becomes a chronic infection - about 75-80 per cent of the time. 2. Hepatitis B usually clears in most adults. It becomes chronic in a small percentage - less than 10 percent. This risk of chronicity is higher if the person is also immunosuppressed at the time they develop their acute hepatitis B infection.

Thank you for bringing my attention to this typo!

Dr. McGovern

hep b positive?
worried about sudden increase in count