Ferritin

What exactly is Ferritin? This was the first time I ever had that test done it showed me at 634 and the doctor said it means I probably have more fibrosis then she thought. I am a Stage3 Grade 3 with an enlarged spleen. Why would ferritin indicate more damage?

I would tell you that the elevated ferritin would simply prompt me to check blood tests for hemochromatosis. Ferritin is a non-specific blood tests which can be elevated in a number of conditions. I would want to get a blood test for hemochromatosis since it is associated with liver disease and may prompt a different treatment plan.You may want to ask if there was evidence of this disease on your biopsy and if that was evaluated at the time.

Dr. McGovern

Pegasys treatment
Orthodontic Concern...need your advice!