Feb 26, 2005
I was diagnosis with as aHBV carries around Dec 03. The doctor start treating me with Pegasys once a week starting Jan 16 04. Before the treatment the blood test DNA HBV result is 40,000 copies. Around June another blood test DNA HBV non detectable <160. Around Oct another blood test also show DNA HBV non detectable. The treatment of Pegasys stop around Jan 10 05. I ahve a blood test on Feb 16 05 and the result come back as DNA HBV count of 4700 copies.
The doctor suggest another blood test 3 months from now with no treatment until the blood test.
My question is why wait for another 3 months since the result come back showing the HBV is coming back.
Is there a risk allowing the virus to grow for 3 months.
If the treatment resume, should I use Pegasys again or some other medicine.
Response from Dr. McGovern
There are several medications available to you including lamivudine, adefovir, and probably soon to be released entecavir, if the FDA approves it.
I think you have multiple options which you can discuss with your physician. Perhaps he or she is waiting for entecavir to be approved which MAY come in the early spring.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.