Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic HBV or What..?
Feb 26, 2005

I was diagnosed in May 04 with acute HBV. The total core antibody was positive, as well as the HbsAg. My ALT and AST were 1435 & 1454 IU/L and I had severe symptoms for about three weeks.

In July, the HbeAg was positive, and HbsAg still positive. In August, the HBV DNA Superquant result was 200 copies/ml (>100=virus present) and Dr. Dieterich said I was probably clearing the virus and to keep checking the DNA.

In November, all liver function tests were still normal, the surface Ag negative, the eAg negative, but both the surface antibody and e antibody were negative. A HBV DNA superquant test end of December showed 550 copies/ml. I don't understand why the DNA went up when the surface and e antigens are negative.

I am total puzzled as to my status. A chronic carrier/inactive/or precore-mutant? (not according to Dr. McGovern's definitions in what I read here).

Since December was past the 6 months deadline for determining one's chronic status, does that mean I'm chronic for sure? Or does it sometimes take longer to develop antibodies?

What would you say my status is?

Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am also puzzled by your status since the laboratories do not seem to go together.

I would visit Dr. Dieterich again since he is an international authority on Hepatitis B.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Ferritin levels
Next
ATL Levels

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.