Chronic HBV or What..?

I was diagnosed in May 04 with acute HBV. The total core antibody was positive, as well as the HbsAg. My ALT and AST were 1435 & 1454 IU/L and I had severe symptoms for about three weeks.

In July, the HbeAg was positive, and HbsAg still positive. In August, the HBV DNA Superquant result was 200 copies/ml (>100=virus present) and Dr. Dieterich said I was probably clearing the virus and to keep checking the DNA.

In November, all liver function tests were still normal, the surface Ag negative, the eAg negative, but both the surface antibody and e antibody were negative. A HBV DNA superquant test end of December showed 550 copies/ml. I don't understand why the DNA went up when the surface and e antigens are negative.

I am total puzzled as to my status. A chronic carrier/inactive/or precore-mutant? (not according to Dr. McGovern's definitions in what I read here).

Since December was past the 6 months deadline for determining one's chronic status, does that mean I'm chronic for sure? Or does it sometimes take longer to develop antibodies?

What would you say my status is?

Thank you so much for your time.

I am also puzzled by your status since the laboratories do not seem to go together.

I would visit Dr. Dieterich again since he is an international authority on Hepatitis B.

Dr. McGovern

Ferritin levels
ATL Levels