treating hiv or hep c which one first

Dear doctor, I am newly infected with both hep c and hiv. my viral load is 221k and my cd4 count is 780. my hep c is 1mil plus. MY new doctor advised me to go on pegasys to try and clear the hep c. I do not take hiv meds, and she seems to think my chances are better for clearing hepc right now. i am aware of the side affects of the hep c treatment. Looking at my numbers, do you think this is an appropriate treatment path?

I would check your HIV labs again to be certain that the numbers are stable since your viral load is quite high. Whether you go on HAART or not though, it is still a good idea to be evaluated for hepatitis C. I usually recommmend a liver biopsy since the length of treatment is 48 weeks and it often helps to determine if you truly need treatment.

Dr. McGovern

Hep B vaccine, adolescents at risk
Any chance for Hepa B to be negative?