What Should I do?

Based on tests, it appears my HCV is in the "acute" phase. My doctor feels if we begin treatment, due to its being in the acute phase, we have a great shot at eliminating the virus. Of course, I want to do what is necessary to survive. I am very scared of the treatment though. The things I am hearing make me wonder if the treatment itself will not kill me. Is it true I will feel like I have the flu every day?

Although interferon does have potential side effects, not everyone experiences those side effects. The vast majority experience fatigue. Less than half experience flu-like symptoms. Even if they do, these symptoms usually go away after a few weeks. Some of my patients have almost no symptoms.

The only way to know is to try it. I would give it a 12 week trial. At that point you will have a sense of what your side effects are and then you will also know if the treatment is working.

The other advantage to doing it early in acute hepatitis C is that your chance of response is exceedingly high. The other issue is that you will only need 6 months of treatment.

I would personally encourage you to go on therapy. As long as you have proper monitoring and help with your side effects with your physician, you will most likely do okay. I have very few patients who have stopped interferon due to side effects.

Dr. McGovern

should I have treatment?
pamela anderson suffers from hep C still