Follow up Curious about my Docs advice on Hep C

Below is a question that I sent and you answered on Jan 30 I am attaching it for information for my next question.

Curious about my Doctors Advice concerning my Hep C

Posted: Jan 30, 2005

I am a little concerned and have some questions on my doctors advice and if you think it sounds in order. I tested positive for Hep C when I had a HCV/AB test, then had a PCR RNA Test which showed HCV PCR QN 156000 IU/ML after that I had a biopsy done which was shown to be in the beginning of stage 1 with the Genotype being 1A. I am due to go overseas for work with the project projected to last 1 to 2 years my doctor has said that that I can take the job and come back in a year for a re-evaluation. I do office work and feel completely fine and in good shape and was completly surprised by these original findings of being infected by Hep C.

Also should I be avoiding my vitimins or herbs or if you would recommend taking any vitimins or herbs.

Your advice is appreciated.

YOU RESPONDED I completely concur with your physician.

Your liver biopsy is very mild and you can take treatment at a future date. Hepatitis C progresses over many years.

Taking a multivitamin is fine. Some patients like anti-oxidants also like vitamin E although we do not know if supplements are truly helpful. I would show whatever "over the counter medications" you are taking to your physician since some herbs can be harmful to the liver.

Dr. McGovern

HERE IS THE FOLLOW ON QUESTION.

I have asked my doctor about taking any of the following and all he said was that all he knows about is Milk Thistle of 800 mgt daily, can you please help me and let me know if I should probably avoid any of the following. I want to do all I can to help myself and I have researched the following in books at the library that have been said to help with Hep C. Once again thank you very much.

Milk Thistle 800 mg daily Multi Vitamin daily Catechin 750 mg daily Thymus Extract 300 mg twice per day Licorice Root 3000 daily Reishi Exract 3000 mg daily Turmeric 500 mg twice per day Alpha Lopic Acid 300 mg daily Astragalus 1000 mg daily Selenium 200 mg daily Dandelion Root 500 mg twice per day Liver Glandular, as directed on bottle Vitamin C 2000 mg daily Vitamin E 1000 mg daily

Any assistance you can give is appreciated.

I do not know of a scientific journal which has published any study definitively proving benefit of taking a particular alternative medication for hepatitis C. I am interested in the possibility that there may be such a medication, but unfortunately I have not read anything yet that answers that question.

Theoretically, vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, is the one which I think has some promise - although not proven.

Be certain to avoid alcohol; its damaging effect is well-known. I would personally err on taking as little alternative therapies as possible since most medications are cleared through the liver. The less stress on your liver -the better- would be my approach.

Dr. McGovern

Hepatitus Be Antigen and Antibody
understanding lab results