Hepatitus Be Antigen and Antibody

Hello Dr. McGovern, Can you please explain the difference between Hepatitus Be Antigen and Hepatitus Be Antibody? What lab result for both of these will my Gastroentrologist like to see? Thank you for your time and response.

For hepatitis B testing, both are important to know about. Hep B e antigen is the protein that the virus is making. Hep B e antibody is the protein that your immune response is making to the presence of foreign antigen.

The presence of E antibody suggests the possibility that you are less infectious to others than if you did not have e antibody.

Dr. McGovern

Treat or not treat?
Follow up Curious about my Docs advice on Hep C